Sunday, April 19, 2009

Round One

9 Racks
5 rubbed with mermaid BBQ rub
4 rubbed with Mom Dukes caribbean rub
Hickory and Peach wood chunks

shooting for 6-8 hour smoke. Showing 215 degrees on the firebox side right now and about 190-200 on the left side. true temp is about 250 on the right and 220 on the left and pretty stable.

The char broil gauges i mounted seem to be junk so I'm relying on a surface temp TT thermo. Also have legit BBQ thermometer gauges on the way that i'll mount in place of the char broil ones.




2 1/2 hours in. Temp was holding steady at about 200.



At 4 hours, I sprayed them down with an apple juice/Tangerine OJ mix and wrapped in foil. Some purists look down on any sort of "braising" with liquid but it makes for insanely tender meat so whatever. Racks spent about 2 hours on at just a hair under 200degrees before I pulled them off.

Mopped down with Mermaid BBQ and finished for about a half hour back on the grates as the heat smoldered.



They came out really really awesome. Honestly, I was shocked at how deep the smoke ring was. In the excitement to eat, I forgot to take some shots of the cut ribs but they were seriously thick smoke rings.

Next up, I want to smoke some chicken wings and try out a pork butt for pulled pork.

1 comment:

  1. I'm drooling! Can't wait to see you guys at the Rib Cook-Off this year.

    ReplyDelete